Can I Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Whiten My Teeth every day?
What Is Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent commonly used for teeth whitening treatment in San Clemente. When used properly, it can be safe and effective. However, a few risks are associated with using hydrogen peroxide on your teeth. Using too much or leaving it on your teeth for too long can cause tooth sensitivity and irritation.
How Does It Work To Whiten Teeth?
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical that is commonly used to whiten teeth. It has several uses, but the most common way is to brush your teeth with it.
Hydrogen peroxide works by removing the stains and discoloration from your teeth. This is done by reacting hydrogen peroxide with the compounds on your teeth that make them yellow or brown. Hydrogen peroxide reacts with these compounds and breaks them down into water and oxygen gas, both harmless substances.
People with sensitive teeth may need to dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water before using it, as it can cause some irritation. You should also be sure to rinse your mouth well after using any concentration of hydrogen peroxide, as it can be toxic if ingested in large amounts.
Is It Safe To Use Hydrogen Peroxide On Your Teeth every day?
Hydrogen peroxide removes stains from your teeth, making them feel smooth and clean. However, this can be dangerous if you use too much of the product or apply it too often. If you do this more than once a day or week, then there is a chance that your enamel can become eroded. A thin enamel is at risk of developing cavities because of the bacteria and acid solution in the mouth.
It’s important to note that it is a bleaching agent and can cause tooth sensitivity if used too frequently.
It’s best to speak to your San Clemente dentist first before using hydrogen peroxide on the teeth. They can advise you on the safest way to use hydrogen peroxide and ensure you don’t damage your teeth.
Side Effects Of Using Hydrogen Peroxide
One of the main reasons people use hydrogen peroxide is to bleach their teeth. Hydrogen peroxide is safe on your teeth when used in 3% or lower concentrations. While bleaching your teeth with hydrogen peroxide can whiten them, it can also cause side effects:
- Tooth Sensitivity: One common side effect of hydrogen peroxide is increased tooth sensitivity. This is because the peroxide can penetrate the dentin (the inner layer of your teeth) and irritate the nerve endings. If you experience increased tooth sensitivity, try using a lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide or using it less often.
- Gum irritation is another common side effect of using hydrogen peroxide. This is because the peroxide can cause inflammation and irritation of the gums. If you experience gum irritation, visit a dentist for treatment.
Do Whitening Strips Work On Yellow Teeth?
The primary cause of yellow teeth is genetics. Other causes include certain medications, smoking, chewing tobacco, eating foods that stain the teeth, and poor oral hygiene.
Although hydrogen peroxide can bleach teeth, it is less than effective on yellow teeth. Whitening strips are best for people with white teeth; if you have yellow teeth, you need a dentist to help whiten them.
Why Do My Teeth Look Weird After Whitening?
There are a few reasons your teeth may look weird after whitening:
- If you have any existing tooth decay or gum disease, the whitening process can exacerbate these problems, making your teeth look worse.
- Failure to correctly follow the directions for whitening makes your teeth look patchy or discolored.
- Some people’s teeth are naturally more yellow or stained than others, so even though the whitening may have worked effectively, your teeth may not look as white as you’d like.
It is crucial to get professional teeth whitening to ensure effective and long-lasting results.
Schedule an Appointment
Call or visit Seascape Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry for more information about teeth whitening and how to do it safely.