Is Invisalign Better Than Braces?
You may love the appealing appearance of Invisalign but might decide to have traditional braces on your teeth to correct orthodontic imperfections. Both options are popular orthodontic treatments helpful for straightening teeth gradually. These orthodontic appliances are FDA-approved, yielding excellent results, but it can be challenging to determine which method is best.
When deciding between Invisalign and braces, you must consider factors like the complexity of your situation, lifestyle, and age. This article looks at everything you must know when deciding between Invisalign and braces.
Why Is Invisalign a Good Choice?
Invisalign is a brand of clear aligners, an orthodontic appliance that helps correct crooked teeth. Alternatively called invisible braces, clear aligners are customized mouthpieces molded from dental-grade BPA-free plastic, applying pressure to the teeth to gradually guide them to their desired positions. Invisalign clear aligners are a discreet revolutionary alternative to traditional metal braces.
If you need to straighten your teeth, you must consider the benefits and downsides of Invisalign and traditional braces to determine which option is better. Let us consider the pros and cons of these orthodontic appliances to help you make an informed decision.
Comparison Overview of Invisalign Vs. Braces
The Advantages of Clear Aligners
Appearance: Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners snugly fit on your teeth and are virtually invisible. The discreet style is the primary reason why many adults prefer transparent aligners.
- Comfort: as the clear aligners fit snugly over your teeth, they don’t cause the discomfort that is familiar with braces. You might experience some pain while your teeth are repositioning. However, the inside of your mouth remains free from discomfort with Invisalign.
- Brushing and Flossing Become Easy: with Invisalign, you merely remove the aligners to brush and floss. As a result, you don’t need to endure a lengthy and challenging dental care process like traditional braces.
- Eating Your Favorite Foods Is Not Challenging: Traditional braces restrict you from having hard and chewy foods, including popcorn, nuts, et cetera, to prevent damage and irritation. Fortunately, as you can remove Invisalign braces, you don’t need to avoid these foods.
- Fewer Orthodontic Visits: Traditional braces compel you to visit your orthodontist for monthly adjustments. Fortunately, with Invisalign clear aligners, you merely call the Invisalign dentist in San Clemente once every six to eight weeks to assess your progress and collect your fresh batch of aligners.
- Unsuitable for Complicated Cases: the translucent aligners are inappropriate for every situation and are best if you require minor corrections.
- Removable Feature Is Best Used As Advised: besides drinking water with Invisalign aligners, the Invisalign dentist recommends that you remove them when eating or drinking anything but water. Likewise, you must use the removable feature of the aligners when eating or drinking hot beverages that can warp the plastic aligners.
- Discipline Essential: Invisalign aligners must remain on your teeth for 20 to 22 hours daily to earn the desired results. The removable feature of the aligners shouldn’t encourage you to compromise on the number of hours they must remain on your teeth.
- More Brushing: if you are a candidate for Invisalign, you must ensure you clean your teeth every time after eating, making brushing more frequent throughout the day.
Benefits of Traditional Braces
Traditional braces have remained the preferred option for teeth straightening because of many benefits. However, they also have a set of downsides leading people to consider clear aligners. Please read a breakdown of the benefits and downsides of traditional braces.
Traditional Braces Benefits
- Suitable for Complicated Corrections: whether you need minor or significant corrections, traditional braces help you achieve your goal of creating an incredible smile even when you confront a complex situation.
- Multiple Options: Metal braces are the most affordable, but you can also have lingual and ceramic braces if you desire a discreet appearance.
- No Removable Feature: unlike Invisalign aligners, traditional braces do not have a removable feature and need help from an orthodontist. However, the permanent attachment doesn’t impose discipline to ensure the appliance remains in your mouth for 20 to 22 hours. Instead, the braces and brackets are mounted on your teeth and remain there for three years or more, depending on the complexity of your situation.
- Safe for Drinking Beverages: Traditional braces are heat resistant and don’t restrict you from having hot coffee, tea, or other beverages.
Traditional Braces Downsides
- Discomfort: Comfort is not a hallmark of traditional braces. It would be best if you had time to get accustomed to them and might experience injuries in your mouth.
- Appearance: traditional braces are not appealing and are visible to everyone. Unless you have lingual or ceramic braces, they are more evident than clear aligners.
- Food Limitations: you are restricted from having many foods, including chewing gum, hard candy, bagels, et cetera, because the foods can remain trapped in the wires or brackets.
- Frequent Orthodontic Visits: traditional orthodontic braces require monthly visits to the orthodontist for adjustments and tightening of the wires.
- Can Stain Your Teeth: the brackets mounted on your teeth remain in place for three years or more and might stain your teeth at the end of the treatment.
When considering orthodontic treatment, you might also consider the differences between traditional braces and Invisalign prices. However, it helps if you understand the cost of Invisalign is not significantly higher than traditional braces.
Furthermore, you receive reimbursement for orthodontic treatments from your dental insurer. Therefore you need not worry about the higher costs of Invisalign unless you don’t adhere to the stipulations of the treatment.
Seascape Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry – San Clemente is a provider of Invisalign in this region. If you want to straighten your teeth with Invisalign, kindly schedule an appointment with the practice to determine your eligibility for the treatment and receive it as soon as possible.